Green Frog Cafe

"Living in nature, listening to the rain, Green Frog Cafe, that's where I want to be. The hemlocks are green, the creek is tricklin, there's geese on the pond, the forest sighs. Green Frog Cafe that's where I want to be, home of my soul, spirit of the mountains." Ruminations of Rhona McMahan

Sunday, August 13, 2006

My Son Without Compassion

I discovered this morning that my son, Colin, has posted a passage on his blog which directly addresses "Rusty."

The text of the post consists of the words of a song which suggest that "compassion" is tiresome and clogs the mind. It is suggested that a higher level of selfishness would be better.

I wonder if this posting on Colin's blog was aimed in my direction.

I found the post to be very disquieting.

I do not know if I truly am a compassionate person, but I do try to be compassionate, and I do not need to hear lectures from any shrink or young whippersnapper about the need for being more selfish and compassionless. Such an attitude goes against my spiritual values.

A person has to be true to themself. If there is one orienting value in my life it is to get in touch with a sense of the center of my self, and to express this center in all that I do. If I am compassionate with respect to others it is an expression of who I am, however imperfectly expressed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home