Green Frog Cafe

"Living in nature, listening to the rain, Green Frog Cafe, that's where I want to be. The hemlocks are green, the creek is tricklin, there's geese on the pond, the forest sighs. Green Frog Cafe that's where I want to be, home of my soul, spirit of the mountains." Ruminations of Rhona McMahan

Monday, January 10, 2005


My Spring 2004 schedule was very hard: I taught from 4:25PM to 9:30PM on Monday's and Wednesdays's, and usually got up at 5:45 to get to Hofstra by 8:00 so that I could prepare and hold office hours. One night when I was exhausted an inattentive I pulled out from in front of a bodega in Hempstead while I unwrapped my evening meal (a Snickers's bar) and an unlicensed driver from El Salvador turned left into the front of the '94 Toyota. It was still running fine, but now the front was smashed in as well as having a bent unibody, so the insurance company demanded that I junk the car. I felt even more terrible. Luckily, no one was hurt in the collision, and the other driver got a ticket for hitting me. Now I was left with no car, and had to take the train back and forth to work, which got me home after midnight. I was turned down for an auto loan because of having too much credit outstanding relating to student loans I had assumed for Colin and Amand, so I searched Ebay for a replacement vehicle. About this time Amanda announced that she was pregnant, would have the baby, and would take a leave of absence from CUNY Law School while the baby was an infant. I was overjoyed that finally someone would produce a grandchild for me to place with.
Rhona McMahan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home