Green Frog Cafe

"Living in nature, listening to the rain, Green Frog Cafe, that's where I want to be. The hemlocks are green, the creek is tricklin, there's geese on the pond, the forest sighs. Green Frog Cafe that's where I want to be, home of my soul, spirit of the mountains." Ruminations of Rhona McMahan

Monday, January 24, 2005

A Trek Through the Blizzard to Lyndelle's

There was a classic nor'easter winter storm last Saturday, which ended up being a wicked but manageable blizzard. Chelsea and I walked through the storm about a mile along Prospect Park Southwest to Caton and East Seventh from 5th Avenue and 16th Street in the South South Slope. It was an uplifting experience for both of us. I did not know when I set out if I would be able to do it. My body felt stiff at first, but gradually I got into a comfortable pace. The hardest was going up the slope of the Park from both directions. Once the crown of the slope was reached it was much easier to walk down hill. The snow was powdery on the way over, and heavier when we came back well lubricated. I felt so good to reach Lyndelle's neighborhood without much strain. We stopped in to a riding academy on 8th and Kermit so that Chelsea could help stow some heavy bags. The barn seemed to be run completely by women, and everyone was in a good mood. The snow blew in our faces like spidery icicles. Lyndelle had a homebaked Nebraska cornhusker chocolate cake for us to taste along with our Chilean cabernet. It was a peaceful break from the madhouse at home. Our bodies felt so good as we went to bed that night, the good tired feeling that comes after a day of exercise and relaxation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home