Green Frog Cafe

"Living in nature, listening to the rain, Green Frog Cafe, that's where I want to be. The hemlocks are green, the creek is tricklin, there's geese on the pond, the forest sighs. Green Frog Cafe that's where I want to be, home of my soul, spirit of the mountains." Ruminations of Rhona McMahan

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Parent's Day 2004

My oldest daughter, Jonica, took me out to dinner for Parents Day last evening. She went home, changed, and took the subway to my place. We walked up to 7th Avenue and then turned toward Flatbush and walked down looking for a restaurant. I wanted French Suzette's but it was closed. We then went to German Steinhof's at 13th and 7th. Then it turned out that they only serve trout or goulash on Monday nights. We were both beer oriented at that moment so we stayed. Jonica had trout and a hard cider and I had Brooklyn Brown draft and a goulash which was peppery, with nice potatoes and a tangy sauce. We had bread and real creamery butter too. The waitress was trans. It made me feel good to see her working a regular job. It looked like very hard work in the busy place.

Jonica said that her life is a series of ups and downs. She said that she still likes New York but realizes how a little extra effort is required in NY to get along. When I asked her about living in Kansas City she really gagged, which I took as a sign that she really still loves NY. She said "it took me long enough to get here."

I asked her, do you ever feel as if your life might be basically the same over the next 30 years? I have the feeling that she was OK with this, but I'm not totally sure.

We talked about Amanda and Red Boots and about Colin.

Jonica described herself as "middle aged," which is perhaps stretching it, but only just. I thought maybe she is getting used to the idea. She is 34.

After dessert (a shared, scrumptious, cakelike yet moist, apple bread pudding, with sourcream and sliced fresh strawberries on the side, we walked down to 7th and 10th to get a vegetarian burrito (black beans) for Chelsea. I got lots of little cups of sauce and jalapenos, and got her a Jarrito Limonada to drink.

All in all we had a real nice evening, and I felt honored by Jonica's graciousness in showing me a nice time. Jonica had the waiter snap a picture of us, which came out well composed but only so slightly blurred.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home